JKOwners Forum banner

intermittant starting problem

149K views 141 replies 78 participants last post by  bugvert 
#1 ·
For about a month now I have had occasional issues with starting the Jeep.
Every once in a while when turning the key, the starter will click once. Sometimes it does it 2-4 times before the JK turns over.

Had battery, starter and alternator checked - all good numbers.

First dealer said it was the starter. I had it replaced by a jeep specific shop after the dealer completely Effed me. That did not fix the problem.

Went to 2nd dealer, also replaced the new starter. Did not fix the problem.
Then they said it was a broken ground strap on the firewall, that broke from my bodylift? Not covered under warranty. So I paid to get if fixed. Did not fix the problem.

Taking into 2nd dealer again, as they seem to want to really find out whats going on. An online talk with a chrysler mechanic said to have them check the starter relay and neutral safety switch.

Has anyone else had this issue and know what it might actually be? Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#119 ·
Going thru the same thing now. My JKU-X with 45,000 miles (auto trans) engages the starter briefly then catches after 6 to 8 tries. The problem is intermittent, so finding it will be a challenge. So far, here's what I've done: load tested the battery; checked all the wiring in the circuit; replaced start relay K3 and finally; replaced the starter. Original starter was getting close to the end of it's lifespan anyway, and in this winter wonderland, a dead car could end with freezing to death in 40 below temps., so not a bad idea to change out wear items.
So it's off to the ignition switch next. I'm gonna find the violet/brown wire leading to pin #1 on the keyless module, connect my ohmmeter and cycle the key switch to check continuity. If that doesn't show anything, I'm gonna start to worry 'cause electronics from Mopar aren't cheap!:th_pray:
What about this ECM flash someone mentioned? What can anyone tell me about that??

#5 ·
It starts fine most of the time. Very occassionally it will click once.
It has not been fixed three starters later..after I keep telling the Fuc$%^g Chrysler people IT AIN'T THE STARTER. Ground strap replaced twice. Today they claim they could not reproduce it, so nothing happened. Now I need to leave it there so they can try to reproduce it, at their leisure, which I hate to do. I told them to check the starter relay and neutral safety...did they...no of course not.

Reaching my limit very soon for the dumb crap from all these know nothin, 'can't reproduce the symton' excuse laden people from Chrysler.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

#7 ·
Not its an X, heavily modded but nothing to the engine or electrical.

#9 ·
Yeah I think your goin the route of the WCM or ignition thing? It is an auto and does not have the keyless entry....

I had brought that up to the tech before and he kind of ruled those out for some reason. Its happens so occassionally that its hard to pinpoint, but there must be some sort of a known reason for this I think...

#14 ·
That was one of the first things I thought too. I did use the other key for a few days and it still occurred. Nice to know I'm not the only one thinking like me....

#12 ·
I think I have a similar issue. Except I usually don't even get a click.

Over the past 6 months or so it happened a couple times. I would just turn the key to "tip start" it and nothing happened. I would turn it off and then back to start again and it starts right away.

But it's happening more lately. In the last month it has happened may 8 or 10 times. Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold. Sometimes it happens the first thing in the morning. Sometimes it happens after stopping for just a couple minutes after a long drive.

I have tried to determine if there is a pattern to it. When it happens I can turn it to start repeatedly and nothing. But if I turn it to off for a couple seconds then it starts right away like normal. I have told my service writer it's been happening but I will not have them work on it until it is repeatable or fails completely.

#13 ·
Yours is easy since you have a Rubicon disconnect your sway bar wire harness at the sway bar, clean it out and plug it back in. I bet that solves your problem, I know it doesn't make any sense but I finally removed mine for good and I haven't had a problem since.

#15 ·
Mine is having the same problem. I'm swapping out to a Hemi next week so I really hope it will be fixed by what's being replaced. Anything you come up with will be greatly appreciated.

I just went to a Yellow Top battery (as the Red Top wasn't holding a charge). It never had this problem before. The first time it started perfectly after the new battery was installed. After getting home, and trying to leave a few hours later, it started acting up. I thought it was a bad battery connection but it definately wasn't that. It acts like the starter clicks and "tries" to crank but wont. A couple of quick turns of the key and it eventually started. Ever since, at every attempt to start, it clicks once and nothing. I repeat the quick turn of the key and all is normal, to include the quick quank as it should.

WTF??

#16 ·
Some more info.....every start today didn't work as designed. So, on a whim, I thought of trying something. Try to start in Neutral (I have an AUTO). Guess what, every start worked the first time. In Park.....no work. In Neutral, perfect start the first time.

I'm new to the JK so no research yet as to this symptom. Neutral start switch or something. No doubt someone knows what this all means.

Just another piece of info.

#18 ·
If you got an Auto, I would love to know when it doesn't work in Park, will it work in Neutral. Please pass on your findings as it could make sence if I can find another to validate my findings.

#21 ·
This is just pissin me off...it won't do it for days at a time then it will do it four times in a row and then start like nothing was wrong. I am ordering a new starter relay from the dealer. This parts department clown didnt know where the neutral safety switch was at, he asked a technician and his response was it might be in the solenoid pack on the valve body. Does anyone know where the friggin neutral safety switch is actually at on the JK?????

#25 ·
I'm suddenly getting a similar issue on my '08 Rubi automatic. In my case the dash lights are weak, like a dying battery. The starter stutters, clicks a few times, then nothing. Just like a bad connection at the battery or a weak battery. Three times now this week.

First time was early in the morning. I thought maybe the kids had left the key on all night. Put the charger on it for 10 minutes and it fired right up. Both second and third time were after listening to the radio for an hour without the vehicle running. Again put it on the charger and after 10 minutes it started right up.

This time (today) I took it to Napa to have the battery checked. No issues, battery is fine. Checked my connections, they are good. Maybe Sunday I'll try to force it by leaving the radio on for an hour, then try the shifting fix or the sway bar connector

Where is the starter relay?

#26 ·
I don't think everyone here is experiencing the same problems, just similar symptoms. We have had this intermittent start problem on many Jeeps and here is the list of different solutions we have had so far, in no particular order.

On two Jeeps: starter/relay
On five-six Jeeps: battery (since the intro of the Wrangler, weak batteries have caused all kinds of strange seemingly un-related issues, even if the battery "tested" fine)
On ten+ Jeeps: sway bar harness
On one Jeep: never found it--traded it in! :D

#27 ·
Tell me more of this sway bar harness issue? where is this on the JK? I dont have electric disco's....so not sure this is related to me...I still think my issue is neutral safety switch.

#28 ·
Update

Battery failed on me twice again today. I took it to Advanced Auto Parts and we checked the battery. Tested out good. So I turned on the lights, the A/C and the stereo and tried to crank it. It would not turn over.

I then swapped out relays, actually switched two of them in the box as most are the same, then tried to start it. It still wouldn't turn over, so that ruled out a bad relay. We then tested the battery and it now tested bad.

Replaced the battery, all set. Old battery is only 20 months old. Seems like a pretty short life.

#29 ·
Exact problem....Had this happen to me so many times.. Thought it was the battery...the connections were fine...the battery checked out ok... Then I tried wiggling the auto shifter and wammooooo it started... Then it happened a week later.... I put it in neutral and it starts.. It hasn't happened in a while...so I'm assuming its right under the shifter... something to do with it fully engaging in park.

I'll be pulling it open and dissecting the problem...

#30 · (Edited)
Hey, I found out my problem. I researched and found the TSB for the WCM. In short, my problem was caused by static discarge building in the WCM. The TSB mentions it can happen in dry climates. Well, I bought the Jeep from the West Coast in CA. No problems there, ever. I get it home and within a week, it happens all the time. Here is Denver and it's normally in the low teens on humidity so it's definately my problem.

Until replaced, you can either 1) disconnect the ground for a couple of minutes at the battery or 2) remove the IOC fuse for 30 seconds and replace. I did #2 and it hasn't had a problem since. I tried #1 a couple of times before #2 but had no luck. The IOC fuse did it perfectly.

Try #2 and see if it's ok for a bit.

Mike

#31 ·
Same problem here.:pissed:

When it happens again, I'll try starting in N and post the results.

#32 ·
My post about starting in N was just a coincidence. It only worked for me that day. Later attempts in N didn't do squat. The IOC fuse was the only fix and it's been great since, even with the new Hemi on board!

#34 ·
Just had to replace my battery on Friday evening. Friday AM the Jeep would not start, but fired right up with a jump. Drove around during the day, but at the end of the day it would not start again. Jumped and started right up. Battery voltage was right at 12.5. Weird. On starting it did not drop below around 11. Put a new battery in and starts right up. After an hour, the new battery was right up to 13.2. My assumption is that there is an internal short in the battery that takes quite a bit of current to induce. All is well.

#35 ·
Just had to replace my battery on Friday evening (Jeep is one year old about 12,000 miles). Friday AM the Jeep would not start, but fired right up with a jump. Drove around during the day, but at the end of the day it would not start again. Jumped and started right up. Battery voltage was right at 12.5. Weird. On starting it did not drop below around 11. Put a new battery in and starts right up. After an hour, the new battery was right up to 13.2. My assumption is that there is an internal short in the battery that takes quite a bit of current to induce. All is well.

#37 ·
The shift lever will not move into N unless the shift lock is disengaged, if the shift lock is disengaged then it isn't the cause of the problem. you can manually override the shift lock by popping out the little rectangle cover in front of P bezel and push a screw driver in the hole. You can usually hear if the shift lock is disengaging when you press the brake.

#38 ·
My 2 cents

My 07, Unlimited auto,was doing the no crank, just one click thing. The battery checked out fine, starter looked newer, (picked it up the JK used). Would start in N, or park after moving the shifter. Dealer told me they did not think it was the nuetral safety switch/shifter position senor. But that was all that was left, (by the way it's IN the tranny above the valve body). Dealer was nice enough to install a new senor anyway. Problem gone!

#115 ·
One click

Dealer just soaked us for $300 for a new ECM did not fix our problem. What did they charge you for the TRS switch in the trans? Problem still happening.

My 07, Unlimited auto,was doing the no crank, just one click thing. The battery checked out fine, starter looked newer, (picked it up the JK used). Would start in N, or park after moving the shifter. Dealer told me they did not think it was the nuetral safety switch/shifter position senor. But that was all that was left, (by the way it's IN the tranny above the valve body). Dealer was nice enough to install a new senor anyway. Problem gone!

#40 ·
My issue seems to have resolved itself somehow after I moved from the two inch BL to the one inch BL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.